3-year-olds are full of wonder and are ready to learn by DOING. Through guided play at preschool they are:
- Developing social skills
- Using language to solve problems
- Practicing self regulation
- Making neural (brain) connections that are the foundation for reading and math.
Our class provides a stimulating variety of choices to explore for active, whole body learning. Challenges of learning to wait and negotiate with friends are met with understanding and proactive teaching.
- Choice time to play, explore, pretend, create and climb
- Put away time (learning to be responsible for the care of toys and materials we have been using)
- Circle time story (extending our attention span and ability to regulate our bodies and emotions)
- snack time (sharing a healthy snack furnished and prepared by parents according to Health Department standards)
- Music and movement (singing and using big muscles and sharing space together)
Parents assist in the classroom one day a week
- You choose whether your day each week will be either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Your child comes the other days without you.
- If you cannot come in due to illness, etc. you ask another parent to trade with you.
- We teach you ways to interact with the kids using our “positive discipline” philosophy.
- Some 2-3’s have a hard time separating–we follow your lead and help you both make this transition.
- You rotate bringing a healthy snack for the children.
Parents get to:
- Attend a monthly, evening parent meeting to discuss business and parenting topics
- Help with the running of the preschool and fundraising
- Choose a co-op job that fits your interests, skill, and time
- Get to know other families that are investing in our children’s education
I can use words but sometimes I forget and use my body instead. I am so capable but it’s hard to get me out the door in the morning.
How to facilitate cooperation? How to have happy play dates? Why can’t s/he leave the park when it is time to go? How can I nurture his/ her love of reading?
Parent Education is an important part of our Preschool
- A professional Parenting Educator attends class one day each week (alternating Mon/Tues/Wed) ready to check in with you to offer tips that will help at home and at school
- The class chooses one night a month for Parent Meeting–time to learn about guidance and discipline AND as an adult night out together (example: first Tuesday of each month)
- To personalize your learning, choose from a list of free talks on topics such as: Guidance & Discipline, Raising Boys/Girls, How To Talk So Kids Will Listen, Sleep, Raising an Only, Making the Most of Temperament Traits
“Who said 3 year olds were easier than 2’s? At co-op I got new ideas….and I saw that my kid wasn’t ‘the only one’.”